Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Ecological Footprint


We would need 4.4 planets if everyone lived the way I do. Services contribute the most to my ecological footprint, making up nearly half of it; while food contributes the second most.

My Reduction Plans
In order to reduce my weekly carbon footprint during the quarter I will:
1. Recycle as many of my products as possible when getting rid of them, as well as purchase more recyclable goods. In general purchase less material goods, and try to consume less.
2. Use my utilities more efficiently: cutting back on the excess use of heat, water, and electricity. Making sure I turn lights off when I leave a room, take shorter showers and only use as much water as I need. Using less heat should be easier with the upcoming spring weather.
3. Buy more food locally and know where it is coming from. Also buy less packaged and processed food to eliminate the amount I waste from packaging as well as help eliminate toxins from entering my body.
4. Reduce the amount of time I drive alone, and car pool as much as possible. Also take the bus more often especially to and from campus.

If I am able to implement all of my reduction plans, even a slight bit, I can better help the Earth and it's resources to sustain. I hope taking these steps can help me become a stronger advocate for promoting sustainability and make myself and others become more aware of the affect we can can have on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment